"Thing 10: Search Tools Ninja"

I completed activity 3 "Compare" in this lesson.  First I checked out the search engine called DuckDuckGo.  It just so happened that earlier in the day I was searching for medicine cabinets on line using the Google search engine.  So When I read this I felt that this would be the perfect topic to compare several search engines.  When I used Google I was displayed advertisements from some big retailers at the top of my list.  I used them to search for a desirable cabinet.  When I used DuckDuckGo I was surprised to see that it was pretty much very similar.  I was displayed the links for "Homedepot" and "Loews".  When I clicked the links they worked the same way.

Sweet Search was interesting because it displayed ads for companies at the top but the other links were not similar.  I was displayed links that had "Medicine Cabinets" in the title.  Some examples are: "Clean out your medicine cabinet", "6 tips to help spring clean your medicine cabinet" and "Depression risks in the medicine cabinet".

"Million Short" is an experimental web search engine that enables the user to remove the top results of any search you make.  You can remove the search results in several in numerous different increments like the top: 100K, 10K, 1K, 100, etc.  I didn't quite understand the purpose of this search engine.  Removing the top search results does not make much sense to me.

I like the fact that there are search engines that exist that Do NOT track your searches.  I personally feel like tracking my searches is a blatant violation of my right to privacy.  It has also been alarming to me when I see ads of the products I've searched for show up on my email page.  As far as for my classroom I do not see much use for it.

Comments

  1. The millionshort search tool is quirky. I find it handy when I'm looking for something and want to see things that aren't from the really popular sites. Sometimes I'll search for something and get nothing but Pinterest results, which makes me crazy! :) With millionshort I can get rid of all the major sites and just get down to smaller sites that might have some great ideas. I just used it to search for "vegetable garden supports" - eliminating all the lowes, homedepot, pinterest, etc. helped surface some smaller gardening sites with useful info. Like I said, quirky.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Thing 3: Photo Fun"

"Thing 14: Bitmoji Fun"

"Thing 8: Digital Curation Tools"